Today I’ve got a foolproof recipe for vegan apple pie. You’ll neither need to roll the dough nor let it rise nor cook the apples beforehand. Instead, you can prepare this sponge mixture in no time, pour it into the springform pan together with the apple cubes and let the oven do the rest while you can relax.
Baking can be so simple – especially with such an easy and foolproof recipe like this one. I’d even claim that this apple pie recipe is the easiest and probably even the fastest in the world. Maybe it’s also the most delicious vegan apple pie in the world? Anyway, I don’t think anyone who doesn’t know that this cake is vegan, will actually be able to expose it as one…
Everyone will love this apple pie and nobody will be able to tell the difference to a regular pie.
- 2 cups flour (I used spelt) (300 g)
- 2/3 cup raw cane sugar (125 g)
- 1 tbsp baking powder (18 g)
- 1 tsp baking soda (alternatively: vinegar)
- 1/2 lemon, zest (make sure it's natural) (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or gingerbread spice) (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or extract) (optional)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup oat milk (or other plant milk or water) (150 ml)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp sparkling water (or plain) (100 ml)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp canola oil (or other vegetable oil, neutral in taste) (100 ml)
- 4 small apples
- 30 g walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Line cake springform pan with parchment paper or grease.
Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, lemon zest, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
Whisk together milk, water, and oil and add to dry ingredients. Roughly chop walnuts and fold in.
Pour into springform pan.
Cut apples into cubes. Arrange fruit all over the dough and gently press down.
Bake 45-50 minutes until golden brown and cooked in the center (skewer test!).
- Your Ø 10 inch springform pan should only be half full as the cake is going to rise while baking (thanks to baking powder, -soda and sparkling water)
- It'll also work without sparkling water, the cake won't be as fluffy, though.
I hope you love this recipe – please let me know in the comment section below! If you make this apple pie, make sure to take a photo and share it on my Facebook page or on Instagram, using the hashtag #minamadefood. Oh and don’t forget to tag me (@thisisminamade) so that I can see your creations!