Here’s a foolproof recipe for the most amazing vegan chocolate cake, which makes a great birthday cake but also the perfect dessert that pretty much everyone will love. At least everyone who likes chocolate cake…The consistency would be closest to the German chocolate cake, which means it’s rather fluffy than fudgy. And then there’s the chocolate icing. Let me tell you: this is the most delicious cake icing ever and combined with this cake – it’s just….heaven! I can’t even find words to describe how good this cake is. The icing hardens when cooled which makes it seem like an Austrian Sacher torte – yum! Enough talk. Go try it yourself!
Makes a small cake. Simply double the cake ingredients for a regular sized or a small two layered cake. You could also make cupcakes, just make sure to reduce the baking time accordingly.
[ingredients title=”Ingredients for the cake”]
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds (14 g)
- 1 cup almond flour (100 g)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (100 g)
- 5 tbsp cacao powder (35 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (6 g)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or extract)
- a pinch of salt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, liquid (50 g)
- 6 tbsp maple syrup (100 g)
[ingredients title=”Ingredients for the icing”]
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk*
- 2 tbsp cacao powder (14 g)
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or powder)
- 1.5 oz dark chocolate (40 g)
Notes: *Place the can of coconut milk in the fridge and leave it there overnight or at least a few hours.
- Start by making the “flax eggs”: Mix together flax seeds with 6 tbsp of water and set aside.
- Preheat the oven 350° F (180° C) and line a springform pan with parchment paper.
- Combine all the dry cake ingredients in a big mixing bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl mash bananas. Then add all the other ingredients, which include the coconut oil, maple syrup and the flax eggs.
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry and mix thoroughly.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out mostly clean.
- In the meantime prepare the chocolate icing: Scoop out the coconut fat that solidified leaving the watery liquid behind (keep it for your next smoothie). Then add cacao powder and maple syrup and beat the mixture until smooth or well combined. Melt the chocolate and add to the mixture, stirring continuously. Place the icing in the fridge for about 15-30 minutes, or until thick enough to spread over the cake.
- Once cooled, transfer the cake to a serving plate and ice all over with the chocolate icing.
There was a lot of trial and error involved in the chocolate cake recipe making. But in the end it was really worth it cause now I’ve got one that needs to be shared. I feel like everyone should have a piece of chocolate cake. I mean, it’s always someone’s birthday SOMEwhere, right?! So either make the cake and share the cake or share this recipe! I know what I would do… 😉