As well as this first blogpost, the first step is never easy, I guess. So I’m just going to use the same method that I did with my first attempts in the kitchen: trial and error. This post is about one of the first recipes I successfully adapted to suit to my healthy lifestyle and my picky taste buds. At the same time, it’s the most requested among friends & family. This is why it happens to be the first recipe on my blog: Sweet & Spicy Pecans.
To be completely honest, I didn’t even know pecans existed, until a few years ago. My friend introduced me to these nutrient packed nuts when I met her during my short layover in Boston. Exhausted from running around in the city, we went to Trader Joe’s to grab some snacks on the go. She got a pack of Sweet & Spicy Pecans and told me I had to try these while at the same time warning me I might become addicted to them. This was it! It was love at first bite. So I went back to the store to grab one of the packs to bring back home. Ok, not only one, I admit…I was just absolutely in love with these little nuts. The balance of sweet & spicy was just about right. It’s what made them so craved for. When I got back home, the few packs didn’t last very long, obviously. I knew I had to create an alternative.
As I looked at the ingredient list (I rarely did this before) I realized it wouldn’t even be too hard to recreate the recipe. It was just a matter of trial and error until the homemade minamade nuts happened to be even better than the ones from Trader Joe’s, if I may say so myself. Not only was I so happy with the result, I got really confident about creating delicious recipes or recreating my favorite ones. My newly found passion was born – my passion for cooking and baking with real, whole foods.
So, that’s the story! Well, at least the short version of it. If you want to find out more about this blog or me, go here.
Now it’s your turn! You have got to try these pecans! But let me warn you: These nuts are deliciously addictive AND you can’t keep them as a secret whilst or shortly after making them because your house will be filled with the most delicious smells.
Prep time: 5 Minutes
Cooking time: 20 Min
Total: 25 Min
Makes 2 1/2 Cups
- 2 1/2 cups pecans (320 g)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (25 g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (2,5 g)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (a pinch)
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (25 g)
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt (I like pink Himalayan salt; sea salt would be great, too) (2,5 g)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place pecans in a medium bowl and set aside. Melt coconut oil, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in a small saucepan. Pour the mixture over pecans, tossing well to combine and coat nuts. In a small bowl whisk together the sugar and the salt. Little by little sprinkle the mixture onto the nuts while stirring thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet and arrange in a single layer. Roast for about 20 minutes or until the nuts have a deep golden brown color, stirring half way through to redistribute them. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely until the nuts are crunchy, before you enjoy them right away or store in an airtight container.
Serve as pre-dinner cocktail nibbles or use them as a filling for baked apples. Sprinkle the nuts on top of a salad, your breakfast oatmeal, or anything really. The possibilities are endless! This would also make the perfect edible gift that everyone will love! If you decide to make these for someone else make sure to make a big batch because they will ask you for more. Or you could just share the recipe with them.