Now I know there are a whole lot of smoothie recipes out there. It’s basically a good combination of greens, fruit and liquid (and maybe some fancy superfoods like chia seeds, matcha powder, you name it). I think it’s just a matter of taste and one should just throw their favorite things in the blender and see where it goes. I’ve been doing this by trial and error for about two years now ever since I got my blender (which I never want to go without again). So I would like to introduce you to my favorite creations. The one I’m writing about today is probably among my top 3.
Even though it looks bilious green, it does look healthier than it tastes. I would actually call it a green smoothie for beginners – in terms of you really need to get your taste buds to enjoy these healthy smoothies. The avocado makes it super creamy and is high in healthy fats while all the fruit and the spinach boosts your energy and keeps you full and satisfied for longer. Smoothies in general are a great way to get a good amount of greens or just fruits and veggies without having to eat huge portions of salad.
It does help to have a high-powered blender here, although most regular blenders should work just as fine. But keep in mind that you might need to blend a little longer for a really smooth consistency.
[ingredients title=”Ingredients – makes 2 servings”]
- 2 cups spinach, kale or any other greens
- 2 bananas, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup chopped pineapple, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup chopped mango, frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup coconut milk*
- 1/2 avocado
- optional: ice cubes, if using fresh fruits instead of frozen
- optional: edible flowers for garnishing
You will also need:
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. You can adjust the consistency to your taste, e.g. if it’s too thick just add some water.
- Enjoy right away. You could also store any leftovers in the fridge up to 1-2 days. Just make sure to stir or shake well before consuming then.
*If you want it to be a little lighter, you could replace the coconut milk with coconut- or just regular filtered water.