To me a barbecue isn’t complete without baked potatoes. If you don’t agree with me here, I’m sure you do when I say, a baked potato just isn’t complete without sour cream. The same is true for chili (sin carne obviously)! I mean what’s the best chili, or any other stew really, without a good dollop of sour cream, right? Right. There’s no need for regular dairy sour cream though, when you can have delicious much healthier cashew sour cream instead. Since I’ve been playing around with cheese alternatives lately, as you may have seen in my pizza recipe, I thought I’d just make my own sour cream, too. Now there are a lot of dairy-free sour cream recipes out there that I’ve tried and this is the best combination of all of them. Seriously, I eat a second or even third bowl of chili sin carne just so I can have another spoonful of this goodness with it.
All you need are 4-5 simple ingredients, to make the best vegan sour cream ever:
A very simple yet so delicious vegan sour cream recipe you'll never want to live without. Keep a jar of this in your fridge and add about a spoonful to your plate of chili, soup or curry. You could also eat it as a dip with potato wedges or on a baked potato. The possibilities are endless.
- 1 cup cashews (150 g), raw and unsalted (soaked for a few hours, see notes)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (sea) salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (optional)
Drain and rinse cashews and place into a blender, together with all the other ingredients and 1/2 cup of water. Blend on high for a minute or so until smooth and creamy.
Transfer to an airtight container and leave in the fridge until serving.
- Ideally the cashews should be soaked for about 3-4 hours (overnight works fine, too). However, you could soak them in hot water for about 1 hour if you're in a rush (or just spontaneous and impatient like me).
- Keeps well in the fridge for up to 1 week. This sour cream can also be frozen (in an ice cube tray at best).